Domestic fires are one of the scariest and most devastating things homeowners can experience. In addition to the possibility of the property being completely destroyed, there is also the risk of extreme injuries to you and your family.
Electric fires can seemingly be caused out of nowhere, as there are several reasons for a fire to start from an electric current. Prevention is the best way to combat these tragedies, but there are many things that can cause electrical fires that may not be obvious to the average homeowner. In this article you will find detailed and useful information from the electricians of the company 24gr.gr.
Prevention of electrical fire
According to the National Fire Department of the United States, approximately 47,700 home fires reported in United States fire departments were the result of some form of electrical failure or malfunction that led to ignition (in 2011). Unfortunately, there are no statistics for Greece from the respective services or from the electricians in Athens. Many of these fires lead to injuries and deaths and are caused by any electrical component, such as:
- Wiring and related equipment
- Lighting fixtures, lamps (bulbs)
- Plugs, sockets
- Transformers and power supplies
Preventing electric fires is as simple as ensuring that your electrical system is safe, but for many, this is not a job that needs immediate attention. The first step in making sure you are not in danger is to become familiar with these common warning signs.
Old wiring or electrical wiring with damage
Most electrical wiring has a lifespan of about thirty to forty, but about a third of homes in Athens are over fifty years old. If the wiring of your house is old or worn, you will notice some problems that you should not ignore:
- The circuit breakers “fall” repeatedly
- Fuses are often “burned out”
These are all intended to be temporary solutions and if any of the above is a common occurrence in your own home, you are probably at risk of electric fire and should plan to do so. installation of new wiring all over the house.
During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminium wiring was very common. Unfortunately, aluminium oxidizes very quickly, which can lead to corrosion. This type of wiring is sufficient for a shorter period of time, but it does not have the lifespan of copper wiring – and once it is corroded, it is only a matter of time before an electric fire breaks out.
You may need to reconnect the entire wiring throughout your home, or you may need to plug in only the sockets, electrical panel, and circuit breakers. Either way, it is important to have a professional electrician inspect your wiring and make sure your home is safe.
Electric arc errors
An electric arc is a discharge between solid electrical conductors or electrodes via gas, which shows a small voltage drop but a particularly high current density. The gas in the space between the electrodes is converted into an electrical conductor as it is ionized by the electric current.
An electric shock can be caused very easily: it can happen because a tree falls on a power line during a storm or because you have done little damage to the wiring while you put a shelf in the wall with screws or simply have a loose connection to an electrical outlet.
Regardless of the cause, electric arcs produce temperatures above 4,000 ° C, but fortunately they can be prevented. Arc Fault Detection Device (AFDDs) can detect arcs and cut off the circuit before it overheats.
If you’re not sure if you have an Arc Troubleshooter where you need it in your home, call one electrician in Athens for electrical safety control. Especially if you live in an older home, these devices could easily prevent a disaster.
What to do if you eventually cause a fire from electricity
Hopefully you have taken all the precautions you can and use your electrical infrastructure safely. However, if an electric fire occurs, you need to know how to put it out.
The first and most important thing to remember is to never try to put out an electric fire with water. Electricity from the fire can travel through the water and you may be electrocuted. You also run the risk of worsening the fire.
If you can do it in time , disconnect the fire-fighting appliance to cut off the power.
If you are unable to disconnect the appliance, you should use an ABC-rated fire extinguisher, which has been shown to be effective in the event of a fire involving ordinary flammable materials, flammable liquids and electrical equipment.
Not all chemical suppressants are effective against electric fire, so make sure your fire extinguisher is. If the fire spreads, leave your home immediately and contact your local fire department.